Wednesday, September 16, 2009

What I'm watching

After accumulating 10 episodes of the TV show Lie to Me on my DVR, I finally started watching. The premise, the acting and the writing instantly hooked me. I wish I'd paid attention to this well-written show sooner, but at the same time, I'm excited that I have eight more episodes to look forward to, and then the new season will begin. Suddenly, the void left by the season finale of The Closer several weeks ago has been filled.

The premise: Dr. Lightman, played by Tim Roth, can spot a liar at 10 paces. Well, maybe not 10 paces. But by closely watching a person's face as he or she speaks, Lightman can tell if he or she is lying. At times, his observations seem a bit of a stretch, but this is a drama, after all. And there are way too few of those on the schedule now that Jay Leno is hogging NBC's lineup at 10 p.m. every night of the week. But I digress. Sometimes, Lightman seems a little slow--I knew right away that an older professional woman grieving her daughter's death wasn't emoting properly because of Botox. All you had to do was look at her forehead. It wasn't moving! But, still, I like the twists ... as well as the fact that the episodes I've seen so far have subplots that make good use of the secondary characters, one of whom is played by Kelli Williams. I enjoyed her as Lindsay on The Practice, so it's nice to see her back. Where's Bobby? (Yes, I know he's on Dark Blue on TNT. Haven't checked that out yet.)

So, anyway. Long story long: I have a new TV show to watch that is sure to inspire the writer in me as much as The Closer and the shows I miss so much, such as Buffy, Angel, Six Feet Under, The X-Files (in the early days), NYPD Blue, Farscape and Battlestar Galactica. Of course, now that Leno's parked on NBC, I know I won't be finding any new inspiration there. Not that I'm bitter. Disappointed, though? Definitely.

1 comment:

  1. Squeee! I've got such a crush on Tim Roth. He may be tiny, but he's intense!

    This is one of those shows (like the others you mentioned) that I can watch more than once.

    Glad you're on the Lightman Wagon.

    Maggie (yr humble critique prtnr)

    ReplyDelete